Welcome to the Caldwell's Nurseries Project Online
This is a story of Cheshire's gardens and gardeners told through the archives of Caldwell's Nurseries of Knutsford. The nurseries operated for more than 200 years, until they closed on 31st January 1992.
Here you will be able to:
- Learn... more about six generations of Caldwell nurserymen
- Read ... stories about their customers and the plants they grew
- View... surviving business ledgers
- Search... for people, places and plants through the database
- Listen... to the memories of owners, staff and customers
- Discover... how nurseries operated and the services they provided
- Look... at historic catalogues — and so much more.
Cheshire Gardens Trust volunteers hope you enjoy exploring this website. Information will continue to be added. Please click here to send us your thoughts or suggestions. Now click on the video introduction, above, or on a 'seed packet' below (or use the menu bar at the top) to find out more.
This website has been created through the voluntary efforts of members of the Cheshire Gardens Trust, with the help and support of the Caldwell family. Special thanks go to David Caldwell for supplying family history. Funding has been provided by the Royal Botanical and Horticultural Society of Manchester and the Northern Counties and The Heritage Lottery Fund.